By Derrek J. Hull, Blogger-in-Chief
Do you know a mixologist or bartender who stirs up a mean culinary cocktail that everyone raves about? It could be the next Star of the Bar is right under your nose.
Tell your favorite mixology master to enter the International Wine, Spirits & Beer Event Star of the Bar mixology competition. Bragging rights, fame, and $5,000 cash could be theirs.
“The Star of the Bar mixology competition provides a great opportunity for mixologists to see who can create the most modern, inventive and marketable cocktail of the year,” said Jack Crawford Convention Chair for NRA Show 2012 and President and CEO of Ground Round Independent Owners Cooperative, LLC. “Whether you’re a head mixologist at the hottest spot in town or simply an alcohol artist, you just might be the next Star of the Bar.”
- Open to anyone age 21 or older
- Create signature cocktail recipe that prominently features at least one product from an IWSB exhibitor
- Make a video no more than 2 minutes long and upload it to YouTube describing and mixing the drink
- Submit the entry form online by April 6, 2012, including a link to the video in the written recipe section
- Voting will take place at www.winespiritsbeer.org from April 9-11
- Six semi-finalists will be selected and flown to Chicago to demo their cocktail live front of top food and beverage industry leaders at IWSB
- The 2012 Star of the Bar will be selected by an expert panel, including "King Cocktail" Dale DeGroff and "The Modern Mixologist" Tony Abou-Ganim, and Bravo's Top Chef superstar Spike Mendelsohn at Restaurants Rock, the official after-party of the National Restaurant Association Restaurant, Hotel-Motel Show and IWSB