First thing’s first: providing killer day-to-day content is no longer enough within social media. Consistency is now a given in the worlds of Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and Google+. Each are crowded platforms with hundreds (more likely, thousands) of other restaurants trying to get the attention of the millions of people in those spaces.
You must stand out, and one of the best ways to do that: social media promotions. Contests, sweepstakes, games, quizzes, social coupons and more repeatedly deliver results within social media. They accelerate fan growth by 10 to 20 percent, increase engagement by more than 100% for the duration of the campaign and – most importantly – create trial and/or drive guests in restaurant.
If investing in a social media promotion is a possibility for your restaurant or company, check the box on these five tips to get it right:
- Entertain them. Dazzling design, music, video and more are critical for engaging folks within social media today. Provide the unexpected and you’ll be further rewarded with increased engagement.
- Keep it simple. If fans, followers, +1ers or pinners need to jump through hoops to engage with your social media promotion, you’ve failed. Our most successful promotions are always the simplest. Enter -----> win. Click -----> play. Find the shortest path to engagement and implement it.
- Play by the rules. Every platform has them, so make sure you’re following them. Pinterest copyright rules, Facebook Cover Image restrictions and more need to be navigated. If launching a contest within Facebook, consider partnering with a vendor that creates Facebook-approved applications. Companies like Strutta, Wildfire and Offer Pop will ensure your promotion flies.
- Give them a reason to engage. Incentives work, so use them. Great grand prizes, coupons and more have all been successful at grabbing attention. Not all incentives need to cost you money. The grand prize could be the designation of a Super Fan, complete with a parking spot of his or her own. (But cash prizes work really, really well, too.)
- Make it viral. There are ways to increase the chance your social media promotion will go viral. Incent sharing in chances to win a sweepstakes. Consider community voting to shortlist or award a winner. Social coupons have built-in sharing to their success model.
It’s a crowded landscape within social media. Use these five
tips to keep your restaurant’s promotions rising to the top with engagement.
Questions? Ask: firstname.lastname@example.org or
on Twitter @BigKitchen.
Blogger's note: Craving more? Register now to participate in a live online Q&A with Culver's VP of Marketing David Stidham and his team, September 24 at 3 p.m. ET / 2 p.m. CT.