By Derrek J. Hull, Blogger-in-Chief
As this year's National Food Safety Month comes to a close, the National Restaurant Association reminds its members of a wealth of food-safety resources operators can download and use in team huddles and other staff meetings.
The 2012 NFSM theme is "Be Safe, Don't Cross-Contaminate" and highlights components of the NRA's ServSafe® Food Safety program -- the leading source of food safety training and certification for restaurant and foodservice industry professionals for nearly 40 years, with more than 5 million certifications issued.
For the past five weeks, NFSM materials at FoodSafetyMonth.com have focused on different aspects of this year's theme, with downloadable training posters and activities summarizing best practices and allowing employees to apply what they learned. Activities are designed to take about 10 minutes. This year's materials, available in both English and Spanish, focused on the following areas:
- Week 1: Personal hygiene training activities and posters (English / Spanish). Watching for correct hand care, cleanliness and work attire to help prevent cross-contamination.
- Week 2: Handwashing training activities and posters (English / Spanish). Ensuring your food-handling employeers are washing their hands correctly and often.
- Week 3: Cleaning and sanitizing training activities and posters (English / Spanish). Scenarios to help employees understand when cleaning/sanitizing is ncessary.
- Week 4: Cross-contamination training activities and posters (English / Spanish) Learning how to prevent cross-contamination while storing, preparing and cooking.
- Week 5: Food allergies training activities and posters (English / Spanish). Training staff to recognize common food allergens and how to safely serve food-allergic guests.
NFSM 2012 is sponsored by SCA, a global hygiene company and makers of the Tork® brand away-from-home paper products.
Reposted in part from NRA News blog