By Derrek J. Hull, Blogger-in-Chief
The National Restaurant Association is now accepting submissions for its Kids Recipe Challenge, a fun, new initiative aimed at showcasing restaurants’ culinary ingenuity of creating healthful menu options for children. Kids Recipe Challenge, created with founding partner McCormick For Chefs, a 2013 National Restaurant Association Restaurant, Hotel-Motel Show exhibiting company, will celebrate delicious and nutritious recipes from children’s menus at restaurants and foodservice establishments nationwide. The contest takes an “industry tested, kid approved” approach, with a panel of industry professionals selecting finalists and elementary school students choosing the winners.
Want to participate in the Kids Recipe Challenge? Here's how:
- Restaurant and foodservice operators should submit one or more recipes from their children’s menus that meet the nutrition guidelines from Kids LiveWell and MyPlate.
- Operators/chefs may participate in four categories:
> Independent restaurant or company with fewer than 20 units
> Multi-unit company with more than 20 units
> Contract Managed Food Service
> Independent Noncommercial Food Service.
- Deadline to submit recipes is January 7, 2013.
What do the winners get?
- $1,500 cash prize
- All-expenses-paid trip to Chicago, IL, where they will be honored at a high-profile awards ceremony during NRA Show 2013 (May 18-21 at Chicago's McCormick Place)
- Widespread recognition through the NRA's public relations and marketing efforts
“The Kids Recipe Challenge is another great example of galvanizing the restaurant and foodservice community around the importance of ensuring that American families have ready access to nutritious food,” said Dawn Sweeney, president and CEO of the National Restaurant Association. “We designed the initiative to be a fun and creative way to showcase healthful menu options, and a source of inspiration for foodservice operators and chefs to continue to add those options to their menus.”
The Kids Recipe Challenge is a complement to Kids LiveWell, which the NRA launched in July 2011 in collaboration with Healthy Dining to help parents and children find healthful menu options when dining out. To date, more than 100 brands representing nearly 30,000 restaurants are participating in Kids LiveWell.
For details on submitting recipes, nutrition criteria, and contest rules, visit Restaurant.org/Recipe.